Penn-Century offers combination kits for easier, safer, quicker intratracheal aerosol administration in rat using our MicroSprayer® Aerosolizer – Model IA-1B. Each kit comes with everything needed for use in rat, including our unique Small Animal Laryngoscope for Rat and Intubation Platform for Rat. A combination discount is included. Read each product’s tab for details.
- MicroSprayer® Aerosolizer – Model IA-1B-R
- One (1) 500 μl sterilzable precision glass syringe and five (5) disposable 1 ml polycarbonate syringes
- Small Animal Laryngoscope for Rat – Model LS-2-R
- NEW! Intubation Platform for Rat – Model IPR
- NEW! Reverse Cleaning Adapter – Model RCA-1B to clear blocked tip
The MicroSprayer® Aerosolizer – Model IA-1B-R is designed for fast, targeted intratracheal aerosol administration to rat. The device can be used to administer a precisely quantifiable, highly-concentrated, air-free plume of liquid aerosol directly into the lungs or other locations. It may also be used for intranasal or in vitro applications. It can aerosolize a wide range of liquids or particle solutions/suspensions, including pharmaceutical and biologic formulations, contrast/imaging agents and toxicological materials. (It does not administer dry powders.)
For intrapulmonary applications, the tip of the device is gently inserted down the trachea of the anesthetized animal – near to, but not touching the carina (first bifurcation). The portion that is inserted into the trachea measures 2″. The Model IA-1B operates with either a 0.5 ml precision glass syringe or a 1 ml commercial polycarbonate syringe.
- Quick, precise aerosol dosing directly to the lungs – with no waste
- Purely mechanical, air-free technology
- Uses no heat, propellant, ultrasound or compressed air. No air burden to subject.
- Unique patented design is light weight, hand-held, easy to use
- Rounded tip permits safe, gentle intratracheal insertion
- Made of rigid stainless steel tubing and other chemically resistant components
- Fully sterilizable, autoclavable and reusable
- Delivers a far higher volume and concentration than is possible with nebulizer/inhalation systems
- Produces a far broader, more uniform distribution than liquid bolus/droplet instillation methods
Penn-Century’s Small Animal Laryngoscope Model LS-2-R is specifically designed for use in rat. It provides bright, clear illumination for better visualization of the trachea and epiglottis. It makes intratracheal intubation and insertion of Penn-Century’s MicroSprayer® Aerosolizers and Dry Powder Insufflators™ easier, quicker and safer. Each laryngoscope comes with a small, tapered stainless steel blade that is custom-made for use with a specific experimental animal. The blade assembly at the top of the handle is detachable. Additional blade assemblies may be purchased for use with animals of other sizes.
- Long-lasting fiber-optic LED light source offering clear, bright illumination
- Easy-grip handle in a curved ergonomic shape that rests in the palm of the hand
- Handle is coated with non-slip green Santoprene™ rubber
- Long-lasting illumination. Operates with a 3 volt lithium battery provided
- Custom-made stainless steel blade tip for holding aside the animal’s tongue
- Both the handle and detachable blade assembly are sterilizable and autoclavable
Intratracheal intubation in anesthetized rats can pose challenges due to variation in the animal’s size and weight as they age and the difficulty of visualizing the epiglottis.
The Intubation Platform for Rat (IPR) by Penn-Century is a simple, durable, easy-to-use system. It is designed to support an anesthetized rat securely during intratracheal aerosol delivery or intubation procedures. Our solid, sturdy platform adjusts easily as animals grow and is ideal for heavier animals.
- Unique swiveling neck support to straighten and improve access to the trachea.
- Sliding base to support heavier animals from below.
- Adjustable posts to secure rats of various sizes and weights.
The platform can be attached to any standard laboratory clamp stand (not provided). Users can freely adjust the platform’s angle and height to optimize it to their own experimental needs.
A new tool to clear blockages in the tip of your MicroSprayer® Aerosolizer Model IA-1B.
The Reverse Cleaning Adapter – RCA-1B was developed by Penn-Century to clear the tip of a blocked or clogged MicroSprayer® Aerosolizer – Model IA-1B. It permits the user to take advantage of the high pressure generated by the 1 ml gas-tight polycarbonate syringe to push solvents or hot water backwards through the MicroSprayer® – that is, in reverse direction from tip to the hub. In most cases, when correct procedure is followed, this process will loosen and force out whatever is blocking (clogging) the tip of the MicroSprayer® and return it to good working condition.